Chronic anal fissure. On laxative, applying cream. Still having pain after passing stools. Suggestions?

I am suffering from chronic anal fissure . During last week of September I had hard stool which caused anal fissure. It got healed after I did sitz bath for a week. But last week of November I again had hard stool which again caused anal fissure. I did sitz bath again but this time my condition kept worsening. Now I can feel a small ball of hard tissue on the verge of my anus . For the treatment I take lactulose and milk of magnesia for last one month. I also apply Diltiaz 2% gel daily before and after passing stool. I also apply it before I go to bed in the night. For last 10 days my condition was improving continuously but today I had pain for almost 12 hours after passing stool in the morning. Do you think I should go for surgery? How long I can take laxative like milk of magnesia?
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013