Child with protrusion in the throat. What is it? Posterior pharynx?

When my 4 year old son stick his tongue out as far as he can, I see something protruding in his throat. It seems to be right near the back of the tongue, just far enough down the throat that I can't see it unless he sticks his tongue out like this....I have never seen anything like this. He has also been to the doctor a number of times for sore throats and the like, but they have never said anything about this. Is this supposed to be there? Is it the Posterior Pharyx that I'm seeing? I just thought that the Posterior Pharynx would be farther down where it couldn't be seen.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013