Child with greasy urine. Anything to be concerned?

Hi Dr Grief, I have a 3 1/2 year old boy who is on week 2 of a very successful run at potty training. I have noticed his urine looks very greasy. I cleaned his potty out with degreaser just to make sure it wasn't something else and the next time he went I could see it floating on the top. Not a ton mind you, but enough that I would like to know what I should do or watch for. Thanks. Tara Crosby
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Hi dear,
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. But stools that float on the top doesn't always mean abnormal. The nature of food we eat can make stools greasy. Try adding more fruits and vegetables to his diet. Floating stools along with weight loss could mean malabsorption (indigestion) and needs evaluation. So keep a watch on his weight. As long as he doesn't loose weight, you need not worry much.

Dr. Balaji CHinnasami MD
Assistant professor, Pediatrics