Child takes plenty of fluids, passes urine often in the night causing tiredness, persisting even on stopping drinking, itching on back. Diabetic?

Hi, my 3 year old daughter drinks a lot and is insistent on having a drink around her at all times, as now we have her off nappies we notice how much she goes to the toilet, which is a lot. She struggles to make it through the night and often wets the bed even if we wake her to take her several times during the night to prevent this - this is even with stopping drink intake after 5.30pm?. She gets tired easily and still has a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon. I ve also noticed that she is always itchy - she scratches her back and lower back to the point that she leaves marks on them?. is there anything I should do as I have had a friend say diabetes? but don t know if thats just over reacting. My other 2 children didn t have any problems coming of nappies and didn t get so possessive over juice
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Hi sanjay,
Its summer time and probably your child is getting dehydrated and taking extra fluids to compensate it. So don't try stopping it. Some children take upto five years to become dry by night. It should not be a cause of worry. But just get a routine check up with your pediatrician and see if everything is fine, check if she has gained weight adequately. If weight is good she might be okay.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami
Assistant professor- Pediatrics

Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Does your baby have increased appetite?

Increased thirst, increased appetite, increased frequency of urination and fatigue indicate diabetes.

A blood sugar profile after physical examination by your doctor may help in arriving at a diagnosis.

We are not really worried about bed wetting in your baby as this is a normal phenomenon in this age group and you need not worry about that.

Hope this helps.

2 users find this helpful