Child suddenly stopped making sounds and grew red, took several minutes to relax. Cause?

my 15 week old granddaughter was on her changing table cooing when she suddenly stopped making sounds and grew red i the face. I thought she was perhaps choking on mucous and picked her up and turned her over, thinking that might help clear her airway. With my other hand I grabbed the suction bulb in case we needed it. but then she started crying so I knew she was getting air. This was, however, very scary. It took several minutes for her to once again relax; my heart rate is still up. Is there a mucolytic that is safe for her at this age?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013