Child not his usual self, lethargic, quiet, exhausted, congested, has inflamed throat, low appetite. Negative strep test, suspicion of virus. Taken Sudafed. Is the diagnosis right?

I m worried about my 8 year old grandson. He s normally bouncing off the walls but has been very lethargic. He had a bad headache Friday night and was again normal shortly afterward. Saturday he played Soccer but seemed a little subdued but didn t complain. He came home from his dad s on Sunday night and his dad said he had complained about being tired. He had dark circles under his eyes - looked like allergy . Gave him children s benadryl about 7:00pm and he quickly became very drowsy. Woke up 3am & couldn t go back to sleep. He missed school on Monday beause he was exhausted and congested. Laid on couch all day. Missed school again Tuesday and I took him to doctor. She said his ears looked fine. Throat was inflamed, although he said it wasn t sore and no other pain in head, stomach, etc. She took throat swab for strep but was negative and said she would call if culture came back positive for strep. He still has no energy today (Wednesday), no appetite , and congested and just super quiet. My daughter has been giving him non-drowsy sudafed for stuffiness. This is just not like him - he s never been down like this for more than a day. The doctor said it s probably just a virus. I hope so. Maybe flu? Sorry, but I was once told it s probably just a virus and turned out I had MS.
Asked On : Sun, 29 Apr 2012