Child ingested the battery contents. Need to go to the hospital?

Basically my little girl bit through the wrapper on a battery and she got some of the black stuff inside and swallowed it but that's when I caught her and I heard that they are really dangerouse to eat so this could make me a bad parent but I got to make herself sick to get it out not enough to be proper sick but it got the stuff she swallowed back out she still had sum bits in her teeth and she wouldn't let me get those bits out it was only a very small amount she had in first place will she be ok or does she need to go to hospital
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013

Thank you for your query.

You did the right thing. Ensure that your daughter's mouth is rinsed and make her take some cold milk to dilute any ingested content.

The battery contents are no doubt corrosive but the very small amount that you claim has been ingested will not cause any harm. It needs to be diluted with food at the earliest. In case your daughter vomits or is exhibiting any other symptoms then she needs to be taken to the hospital.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal