Child hurt head, eardrum not formed properly. What can my son hear?

Hi, I hope you can help, I had to take my son the Doctor on Friday as he had a fall off a bike and bumped his head. However the nurse we seen was concerned about his speech (as have I , for several months) she checked both his ears and discovered that his left ear drum was not form properly. She explained that a healthy ear drum should been round and transparent however instead his was very, very crinkled and she couldn t see through it at all . I have said to several people that he speaks like he is hearing things through a closed door i.e. he is picking up the basic conversation but not the sounds that would allow him to articulate properly. WWW.WWWW.WW referred him to a doctor for a hearing test but she did not explain the outcome of what might be required to fix it. Could you explain to me what I should expect my son to be able to hear and what would be required to fix the problem, He is 2 and half years old and his right ears was a bit red but healthy otherwise. Thanks
Asked On : Wed, 9 May 2012