Child hit top of lip, bruised, swollen cheek. Will swelling harm while filling on teeth same side?

My son fell over 3 days ago and hit the top of his eye lip. He was fine after it. Now 3 days later its bruised really bad but he has a swollen cheek and it crying and holding his face. He also needs fillings on his teeth on the same side which we are having this week. Do I need to take him to emergency right now? Will the swelling harm him?
Asked On : Sat, 9 Mar 2013
Dentist 's  Response
Dear friend.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

what do you think is the cause of his cheek swelling?is it just the bruise or the underlying tooth is involved?

swelling of cheek indicates,trauma to tooth and supporting structures. I would suggest you to visit your dentist first regarding this,a vitality test for the concerned tooth will be carried out and then based upon the level of fracture of tooth (if any),treatment can be undertaken.

later you can inquire about your other decayed tooth too,if adequate mouth opening is there and child is cooperative then superficial fillings( if any)can be carried out in the same sitting else you will have to visit later for that.

His first priority should be the involved tooth and its suitable treatment.

hope it helps.

thanks
now t

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

hope it helps.

thanks
now t
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response
HI,

Thanks for asking the query,

Take your child to the dentist for the swollen cheek . Swelling can be because of trauma
you can give saline water gargles or just wipe the mouth with saline in cotton or clean handkerchief 3-4 times a day.

you can apply ice packs over the swelling .

you can give tab flemiklox 250mg three times a day for 3 days , tab brufen 200mg three times a day for three days .

It will be better if you do the filling after the swelling resides.

Regards.....
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hi ,,

thanks for writing in.

is the swelling associated with any tooth fracture?

in such cases thorough check-up is required.
meanwhile,application of ice-packs will subside the swelling.
get your son's decayed teeth filled.
antibiotic cover may be required if there is traumatic injury.
please avoid intake of hot and spicy foods.
plenty of fluids and nutritious rich food has to be taken.
take care