Child have white discharge in underwear. Can it be semen? Is this normal?

I was picking up my five and half year old sons dirty laundry when I noticed that their was a white stain inside his underwear. Their is no possible way of abuse how it is just me and my son and it has got me very concern weather this is normal or not, my first thouIght was semen but as I was googling it, I see that some people say semen is not developed until they are older. Please help me, I need answers. Should I be concerned and what could it be?
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Thank you for your query.
Please do not panic.
Male children have some whitish secretion that accumulates in the prepucial sac called smegma.
most probably that is what you have found.
Semen usually appears after puberty which usually occurs around 13 yrs of age.
Please clean the prepuce with soap water during bathing.This will take care of the problem and maintain adequate genital hygiene.
Hope this answers your query.
If you have any other queries kindly direct them to me.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Pediatrician Dr. Sanjay Sharma's  Response
Thanks for placing your query through HCM.
I can appreciate your concerns.
The white stains inside his underwear are most likely due to excess phosphate in urine.
the excess of phosphates often turns urine cloudy also.
This often does not need any treatment & a benign condition.
This can be due to dehydration from concentrated urine or excess dietary consumption of phosphates.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.