Child have problem in eating. Had flu earlier, poor appetite. What to do for this?

Hi dr my 2 year old has just got over the flu. Her appetite was poor but the past two days she has hardly touched anything. Even her milk she will just drink abt 2oz and stop. This morning she is not herself and does not wanbt to touch any food, her breadth is a bit bad despite brushing and she looks weak. Pls advice what could b going on. I live in Sri Lanka and she has all her vaccines covered to date. It's tough as she wants no food! I hv to go to. Work and can't leave her with the nanny as she wants me near. Pls help Tnk you!!
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013

Thank you for your query.

It is very common for children to go off food following an infection. Please do not force her. Just offer her food at the appropriate meal time and let her have as much as she wants. You will notice that over the next 24-48 hours she will start accepting the food. Ensure that she has adequate fluids so that she does not get dehydrated.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
After illness loss of appetite is a common problem.
Gradually she will gain her appetite back.
Give her B.complex syrup with lysine for few days.
With this syrup she will gain her appetite and will have stamina as well.
Watch her color of her urine as in infective hepatitis same symptoms are there.
If she passes yellow color urine and her sclera of eyes is having yellowish tinge, consult your doctor.
Ok and bye.
Ok and bye.