Child has whitehead wrist, redness, black speck in center. What is this?

Hi doc! My 19 month old son has a small whitehead type pimple on his wrist . At first it had a small speck of black in the center, now that s gone. It was pretty red, the skin area around the pimple, maybe infection? That seems to have subsided a bit too. My worry is the black speck, and also that he had another one exactly like this on his thumb about a month ago. My hubby popped that one, kinda, because we thought it was a splinter that never came out, (bc of black speck). We haven t messed with this one and it seems to be going away, but what is this?? What could it be?
Asked On : Sun, 28 Oct 2012

Thank you for your query.

Individuals do get such lesions on the hands and nothing needs to be done unless they are increasing in size. As you noted they subside on their own. I suggest that you wait and watch.

You asked what is this and what could it be. Toddlers do play around and also with mud, etc. They can have small abrasions, injury or insect bites which may go unnoticed and these could be the body's reaction to it.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.