Child has respiratory distress after birth. Chest x-ray shows phlegm accumulation. Any serious issue?

My baby is 20 days old and he was suffering from respiratory distress post birth. After a 12 day stay in the NICU he was discharged, during which he was supplemented with oxygen for first 4-5 days. After that his distress reduced visibly, with minor noises audible from his breathing infrequently. This also stopped when we reached home after 12 days in NICU. I took him to the doctor for a review, and after an XRAY of the chest he told me that the baby is having problem breathing as phlegm is accumulating in the lungs. He has prescribed one week of medicine and wants us to get back for a review, if things do not improve then he needs to be hospitalized for taking the phlegm out of his lungs. I want to know if there is any serious issue that I need to be worried about.
Asked On : Sat, 17 Nov 2012