Child has pus under toe nail, no pain or swelling. What is it?

hi, my son had pus (which has now dried) under his big toe nail..and the actual nail is now loosley attached..he has no pain, swelling or redness and i didnt know it was there untill i dried his feet at the beach the other day...i have been cleaning it and taking care of it but what is it please? (he is 4 years old....many thanks ;)
Asked On : Fri, 3 Aug 2012
Thanks for query,
He had cold abscess of nail bed.
You are cleaning it is OK but you should remove the nail as it is loosely attached.If you remove the nail then only you are able to clean it.