Child has lung pain, severe chest pains that triggers with eating. X-ray showed hyperinflation of lungs, enlarged thymus. Any thoughts?

My 12 year old has complained for the past 3 weeks of lung pain . We went to the doctor and had an x-ray done. The x-ray showed severe hyperinflation of the lungs. He clearly does not have asthma as he is extremely active in numerous sports each week. Several days later, we took him to the ER due to stabbing lower chest pains. It seems that after he eats, his stomach puts pressure on his lungs. Another chest xray was done to show an enlarged thymus (2.5) and that his pulmonary artery is much larger that his aorta . He is seeing an allergy/asthma/immunologist next week. All other tests came back as normal. Ironically, my husband has had pneumonia twice in the last 6 months and was diagnosed with hypersensitivity pneumonitis. I tend to think we may have an environmental issue that they are both prone too. I have lupus. Any thoughts on what we might be dealing with?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013