Child has hard knot on head, crying, tried icing. Is he okay?

My son is just learning to stand up and move from place to place while holding onto things. Well, I was close to him putting his toys away cause it s bed time, and all of a sudden, I heard a loud thud, and he was crying so hard, he quit breathing for a moment and his face got really red. I realized then he probably hit his head on the end table. I went over to him to inspect and noticed he had a hard knot on the right side of his head the size of a dime. I tried to put ice on it and he just cried even more, so I gave him hugs and he quit crying to resume playing. I made him stay up a bit longer, but now he is sleeping because he couldn t wait any longer. I just wanted to make sure that it was going to be ok or if I needed to take him to the ER. Thanks :)
Asked On : Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Dear Marciamallow,

While my prayers and good wishes are with you and your son, it would be imprudent not to take him to the ER for a look. I am sure that by now he should be okay, but the real danger in such cases is the occurrence of what is called a "lucid" interval followed by further deterioration in the condition of the child if he has an "extra-dural hemorrhage" (i.e. bleeding outside the brain but within the skull cavity ... a situation that is as dangerous as bleeding within the brain).

Remember this in future: in any child with fall on the head, at least one visit to the ER or his doctor is an absolute must. and it must be within 2 hours of the injury.

-Dr. Taher