Child has diabetes. Fever, joint pain, neck pain due to flu. Done tests. Treatment?

I have a 13yr old son who is type 1 diabetic. He contracted Type A and Type B flu 3days aprart. He had fever 101 to 104 with both. Moderate to large ketones and Very high blood sugars. He is also in puberty . during this time he had very bad joint pain in both ankles for about 4 days that subsided then he had Extreme neck pain .This has continued for 4 weeks. We did PT. He was tested for mono, meningitis ,everything negative.he had a MRI and CAT scan which showed fluid in muscle and C3 and C4 were out of alingnment from the swelling. There has been NO trauma. The surgeon that looked at his MRI and Cat scan said it looks like he was in a bad accident. His left side of his neck was in spasims.His pain just kept increasing. We seen a orthopedic spine surgeon . They did a needle biopsey and did cultures.No bacteria has grown yet and its been 4days.The Drs want to put in a pic line for up to 12weeks because his SED rate was 58. Any thoughts on this treatment and what could have caused this? Have you ever heard of a infection going to a childs neck after the flu?
Asked On : Thu, 27 Dec 2012