Child has bruise and lump on hip, no pain. What to do?

Hello. A few weeks ago my 4 year old daughter had quite a noticeable bruise on her left hip. I was just cuddling her and I have felt a hard oblong lump in a very similar, if not the same place. It is definitely oblong following along her knicker line and is about 2 cms. I am really panicking as to what it might be.. she is in no pain and it doesn t hurt her when I press it. She has no symptoms of ill health at the moment.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Sep 2012
Hi Alexandra,
There is no reason to panic at all. If the lump is a small one, rubbery in nature,movable and is not painful to touch and slips under your finger ,you are probably dealing with a lymph node that is enlarged.It is usually caused by local infection near the genital area or groin.
Have a nice look at those areas. The lymph nodes have enlarged to combat that infection. Treating the problem will decrease the size of the swelling. But do consult your local paediatrician for an examination.
Don't worry ,everything will be fine.Have anice day