Child feels wet in genital area. History of holding urine. Negative for UTI. Need a urologist?

Hi - I have a 5 yr old daughter who is always complaining about feeling wet in her pee area and butt area. She goes to the bathroom over and over trying to dry herself. I have checked and don t feel that anything is wet. I feel it s all in her mind. Her previous history - she has always held her urine until she has to go very bad. One day last month, she had to go pee over and over, just a little bit was coming out but very frequently. This happened for a few hours. We took her to the doctor and tested for a UTI which came out negative. Since then, she doesn t hold it in for so long however this new situation of feeling wet all the time has started. Please advise. Do you feel I need to take her to a Urologist?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

I am of the opinion that you should wait and watch. If you feel that she is not wet then the best course would be to keep her engaged so that her mind is diverted to other things. However ensure that she passes urine at regular intervals and her personal hygiene is maintained.

Despite the above mentioned approach she still complains then the best course would be to get an ultrasound done and then see a doctor.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.