Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Child drank kerosene. Vomitted, test results- normal. What to do?

Hi i have a 2 year old who drank kersone couldnt breath then vomited then was rushed to hospital, results came back fine so then i brang him home he vomited in the car then when i gave him a bath and now is sleeping ?? He only had a bit of milk to drink at the hospital but then 40 min later vomited it smelt like kerosene then when i brang him home tried to feed him 3 spoons of food then vomited the food it smelt as well like kerosene then just went to sleep ?? What should i do
Asked On : Mon, 29 Apr 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  265
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
Vomiting after kerosene ingestion can lead to aspiration pneumonitis .
I suggest you to get your child re evaluated by doctor.He may need X ray chest.
Observation for 24 hours will be needed.Anti emetic will be required depending upon clinical status.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless..

Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Himanshi Kashyap's  Response

Ideally this child should have been admitted in the hospital for observation and kept nil by mouth on I.Vfluids .

kerosene is very volatile hydrocarbon liquid so the fumes will be evident from the child.These fumes lead to pneumonia and in addition there are chances that your child must have aspirated the vomits in the respiratory system.

I would suggest you to keep a watch on the breathing rate if it increases then your child will need admission immediately or better is to keep the child in hospital For 24hrs for observation.


Take care.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Achuo Ascensius's  Response
thanks for using health care magic.

Children get to consumed a whole lot of stuffs daily especially kerosene and some of such
substances are potentially dangerous . Fortunately Kerosene is poorly absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract.
However, there is a possibility of aspiration into the respiratory tract especially following vomiting which could cause severe respiratory problems occurring within hours but may be seen a day or so after ingestion when the child becomes breathless and feverish up to 40ºC.

Also contact with the skin and mucous membranes such as the gut lining can lead to variable degrees of irritation potentially very severe cases.

There is no specific or particular drug treatment in normal day practice. What is recommended is to immediately remove the dresses and wash the child thoroughly with soap and keep the child close to a window or in an airy place with the mouth open.
If the child did consumed a considerable amount of the kerosene then the child be kept under observation in the hospital.

Hope this helps.
Dr Achuo
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Repeated vomitings after kerosene ingestion may be due to the development of gastritis.

And vomitings may cause aspiration of food particles or the chemical into lungs.

To control vomitings an antiemetic like ondansetron can be given in prescribed dose.

Observe for rapid breathing, cough, wheezing, and drowsiness and if you find any abnormality and if the vomitings are persistent consult Emergency for re evaluation and for further treatment.

Chest X-ray may be required to rule out any aspiration into lungs.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Balaji Chinnasami's  Response
Hi dear,
Thanks for your query. Kerosene ingestion is known to cause vomiting. Kerosene can result in aspiration into lungs and result in respiratory distress. Just keep a watch on his breathing. If you feel it is more than normal or has retractions then take him to emergency room for admission. Or else you can wait and watch. Let him sleep for a while, try giving him some milk or juice later. If his vomiting keeps persisting even tomorrow then take him to the hospital. He might become dehydrated if he doesn't take any fluids and keeps vomiting.

Take care
Dr. Balaji CHinnasami MD
Assistant Professor Pediatrics
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor