Child diagnosed with deletion of chromosome 12p12.1, was earlier diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Is it life threatening?

Hi, I have a son who was recently diagnosed with the deletion of chromosome 12p12.1. Prior to this, we were given a generic diagnosis of cerebral palsy . Since his official diagnosis (the deletion of chromosome 12p12.1), my husband and I feel like we aren t getting any answers. Can you tell me if this disorder is ever life threatening? He is currently in speech, occupational and physical therapy and is only 7 years old. His case I guess would be considered mild to moderate. Overall, he is more like dealing with a 2 or 3 year old. He can communicate somewhat (again, it is like trying to converse with a 2 year old) and knows a little sign language to assist in communication. Physically, he is doing pretty great, other than the fact that he is a little clumsy. I guess I just want to know that this is not life threatening and see if this is something that he will one day be able to overcome...not really overcome, but be able to live a normal life (getting married, having a family, etc.). I feel like when I ask these questions I get mixed answers. The genetics counselors say he may never be able to do any of these things, but then again, 3 years ago, he was using a medical walker and I was being told that he would probably never be able to walk unassisted and would probably need a wheelchair--now he can run all by himself. Any info you can give me would be great. I was reading about it on this site and was very confused... Thanks, Joanna
Asked On : Mon, 20 Aug 2012
Answers:  0 Views:  171 Awaiting Answer