Chest congestion, feeling of something stuck, discomfort on swallowing. Treatment?

Two days ago I ate a small piece of very hot salmon (right out of the pan) and now my chest feel like there is a lump of food stuck in the same area where I felt the burning food two day ago. It does not burn but it feel as though something is stuck there and when swallowing liquid or eating food I am having an uncomfortable feeling.
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

Yes, hot and spicy food can cause inflammatory changes in the food pipe. These changes are responsible for sensation of some food stuck in the food pipe. The sensation however would resolve in a few days to a week.

So do not worry. Take soft and less spicy diet and wait for a few days. If symptoms persist for more than a week you need to get an endoscopy done to rule out other possibilities.

Hope this answers your query.