Cant walk steady, shaky due to a spine incision. Suggessions?

My brother-in-law is 79 years old and cannot walk steady. He can stand and move his legs around but when he starts to walk he is very shaky and has to stop and then start again. It is like his brain will not tell him to walk. He just had a small incision in his spine for this but it did not help at all. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Fri, 29 Jun 2012
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your brother-in-law's symptoms.

We require more details regarding his surgery. What was the diagnosis prior to the surgery done on his spine?

Also, for imbalance, we also need to evaluate his brain by doing a brain MRI. Blood clots in brain (infarcts) can also cause imbalance while walking.

Physiotherapy with gait and balance training would help in recovery.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My blog: