Cannot swallow at all from feeding tube, suggested Mucinex. Is it really effective ?

I have a feeding tube, can not swallow at all. Dr suggested Mucinex to help with excess mucus build up. I question the effectiveness of this med taken this way. It seems to me it should be swallowed to be effective. I am 61, 4 time cancer survivor ( base of tongue, nasal cavity ), and recovering from aspiration pneumonia. I hate to waste the money on something that may not work for me. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013