Can yogurt cause hard stools with mucus? What diet to choose?

My 2 yr old grandson had very hard poop pellets all held together with mucus . When I told my son about it he said that is probably due to all of the yogurt he has been drinking. (drinkable kind) He wasn t eating that day, but otherwise feeling fine. I m not sure if he has it on a regular basis, but it was alarming to me. My daughter in law fixes good balanced meals but they don t encourage good eating habits for my grandson. Could this mucus be due to his diet entirely?
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Geriatrics Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for asking.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows.
1. Low fiber in diet will cause hard stools.
2. Due to hard stools irritating the colonic mucosa, increased mucus will be seen.
3. Balanced diet is necessary for all ages, particularly childrens. Discuss with them and make sure, your grandson receives a balanced diet. Yogurt has not complications, however in excess can cause diarrhea due to mal-absorption.
Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.