Can respiratory type flu and stomach pain be a symptom of Diverticulitis ?

I am a 70 yr. old female just recovering from a respiratory type flu . However, I have also had pain in my stomach area. I have confirmed diverticulosis , but am wondering if I may have diverticulitis now. The pain is in the area of the transverse colon, not the descending, has spread a bit to my back, and is kind of low-grade pain. I really don t know if it might actually be in the stomach, but I don t think so. It gets worse if I try to eat, so I have not been eating much for the last six days. The flu is much better, but the stomach pain is not going away. No cramping, no diarrhea, no fever, no nausea or vomiting. Is there a simple, but definitive test for diverticulitis infection? I live in a remote area and called a clinic 40 miles away and the nurse said the only way to confirm is a barium enema . This does not sound logical to me.
Asked On : Fri, 18 Mar 2011