Can i do lazer treatment for dark lips?

Dear Doctor, my problem is i have very dark lips. Can i do lazer treatment???
Asked On : Sat, 30 Apr 2011
laser has not much role in dark lip treatment.
first u should find out it cause
smoking,sunexposure can cause it
avoid direct sun exposure
dont use lip cosmetics
drink more water
eat healthy diet
better to consult dermatologist
General & Family Physician Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware's  Response
Hello mala;
welcome to HealthcareMagic
If the dark colour of lips is genetic or since birth even laser won't help to change it.If it is not a natural problem and it is due to some health reason then consult a doctor who is providing this laser treatment .
Dermatologist Dr. Bharat Chawda's  Response
Welcome To HealthcareMagic forum,

Dark lips could be either genetic or secondary to a cause .If it is due to any allergy(cosmetic induced) then you should give a try with topical creams like steroids or tacrolimus creams. Also change of tooth pastes helps at times. Do use a sunscreen in the morning.
If you don't respond to the above treatment then you can think of lasers as a last resort.The best lasers to go for would be Q-switched Nd:yag laser (1064nm) which is specific for pigmentation.I've myself treated patients with this with variable results.
So consult a dermatologist who has specific kind of lasers.