Bump on the head after a hard bang. Treatment required?

Hello, my son was playing a basketball game when one of his friends went to shoot the it bounce back and hit him on the head. He told his head was hurting so I ran got some ice..I told his father it look like a little bump on side.he told me u can t get bumps on your head from a basketball. Should I take to the doctor just to get it check out..
Asked On : Wed, 25 Jul 2012
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear Covington, hello.
any hard object hitting the head area can result in 'bump' because of the structure of the skin of the scalp. There is no need to worry unless following symptons occur:-
1. loss of conscioussness
2. drowsiness
3. confusion
4. nausea or vomitting
5. difficulty in walking
6. persistent headache
7. memory loss.

If none of the above symptoms are present, no need to worry. Headache will go in a few days to weeks.