Bronchitis, have sharp, stabbing chest pain everytime on coughing, getting up from sitting and sleeping postion. Normal chest X-ray. What could it possibly be?

I am having a very sharp pain everytime i cough from my current bronchitis . My chest xray today came back showing clear lungs though i am still coughing up alot of flem. I can deal with the coughing but the pain in my back rib cage is stabbing and is preventing me from coughing like i should to expel the mucus. Im wondering what it could possibly be, maybe a pulled muscle? I have heard of ribs popping through muscle lining but my pain is not constent, only when i cough or try to stand from lying/squating position.
Asked On : Mon, 21 May 2012
Pulmonologist 's  Response
The kind of pain that you describe is very classical of pleurisy which could be due to some fluid in the lungs.
However as your xray is normal i believe such a pain can originate from a cough fracture.
A cough fracture can occur due to excessive coughing causing a fracture in the ribs and hence the pain