Broken thumb, far apart from first finger, cannot hold things. Surgery required?

had a broken thumb since XXXXX in the service , my thumb was dislocated back to my wrist , now it far apart from my first finger , it hurts and cant hold things to much with my theft thumb . I ma disable Veteran never calm my broken thumb but its on record with the VA. to repair is see pins and rods to close to gap together . should i replair it or just leave it alone after all these years
Asked On : Fri, 4 Jan 2013
Based on your statement it looks like your thumb is dislocated. Three is no other possible treatment except surgery if you require the movement of your thumb back. They might go for open reduction and kwire fixation. It's a simple procedure. Prognosis depends on the other complication such as nearby bone fractures and the time since your injury. But a confirmed conclusion cannot be arrived without looking at the xray