Broke jaw, Had surgeries but ghe jaw was set in the wrong place. Cannot eat properly. Suggestions?

Hi there, 4 months ago I broke my jaw in 4 places, 3 break being on the left hand side and one on the left which is where the joint snapped and ended up through my earl canal. My surgeon and his team are a matter of their own. Terra ky confusing, contradict what they say continuously and over all have been not that great. I ve asked for a second opinion and to be referred somewhere. The reason I m worried is I am sure my lower jaw has been set too far back. I have a huge overbite which I didn t have previously, my jaw cannot move side to side all that much and I m completely unable to chew with my mouth shut. This bothers me a great deal as I can t eat comfortably nor with any manners! It can only be compared to way a dog chews. I ve had two operations already and fear I ll have to have another ken to help these problems. My ROM is also only just reaching 2 thirds after nearly 5 months. I ve been offered no physio. My surgeon originally told me I d need more operations shown the line but when I went to see him again he said he no longer thought this was necessary. He hadn t even discussed this with me beforehand. Do the problems I have sound like they re due to the jaw being set in the wrong place or is this all part of the healing process? My lips are also difficult to out together.
Asked On : Wed, 21 Nov 2012
Dentist 's  Response

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern..

As per your complain it seems that along with breakage of the jaw there has also been jaw joint dislocation and you are right as it seems that while replacing the lower jaw t has been placed too far back and not articulating properly at the lower part of the skull..

There can also be forward[ anterior] displacement of articular disc that is a soft cushion present between the two bony ends of the joint..
You need to get treated and although many a times surgery is not needed..

You should consult a trained oral surgeon and get evaluated and he can advise you oral splints, corrective orthodontic appliances [ functional jaw orthodontic splints] and physiotherapy to improve the condition..

In case if all these does not work then surgical correction can be done..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.