Broke Tibia and Fibula, blood clot in back calf, pain and swelling in foot and calf. Time to reduce the blood clot?

my husband is 40 he broke his tibia & fibula & displaced it on the 17/8/12 he has plates & screws He also has 8cm blood clot in back calf in same leg, his only just started to walk without aid but still has alot of pain & by the afternoon his ankle & foot is doubled in size. physo hav said theres no more he can do what exercises do you surgest to speed up mobility he is extremely active & we run a large company so we really want to get on top of this!!! how long can the blood clot stay for, he has been on walfrin 5mths now & hates it!! his rni is at 2.3 at the moment! some new addvise & help would be appricated! Worried wife shelly
Asked On : Sun, 3 Mar 2013