Bright red blood-like substance in stool, please suggest

I ate some vegetable crisps, which contain beetroot, on wednesday evening. Thursday morning I saw blood-like colours in the stool and on the paper. The next (small) movement appeared not to produce the same appearance, but on Friday, the first movement of the day again appeared blood-like in the stool and again on the paper.

I have not experienced or been aware of this before, but what are the chances that it is a coincidence that I did eat the beetroot and other vegetable crisps recently? I am of course faint with concern.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Feb 2011
Nephrologist 's  Response
Thanks for te query
Yes eating beetroot has been known to produce reddish discoloration of stool and each stool slcycle lasts upto 36 hours. Insuggest you wait for three days if it still persists then see a doctor.
Have a healthy living