Blood test shows underactive thyroid. Light headed, breathless. Taken antibiotics for chest infection. How long to work?

I recently had a blood test that came back showing I had an underactive thyroid; recently I have been overtired and light headed and breathless , my doctor originally thought it might be a chest infection so he gave me antibiotics which gave me terrible heartburn that resulted in me going to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack where they took a blood test which indicated the underactive thyroid. I have to wait several days before I can see my doctor, I have heard that the medication that you get for hypothyrodism is for life and this concerns me; however walking normal distances, say about a mile gets me very out of breath so I welcome anything that wll sort the problem; how long does it take for the medication to take effect? I read that you have to be titrated to find the correct dosage. I m only 31 and feel like a much older person at the moment and it s causing me no end of anxiety and distraction.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013