Blood oozing out from ear. Ear puffed up. What could this be?

My friend has had this oozy bloody ears for 2 1/2 to 3 years that wont heal. It is not inside where you would put a qtip it is right in the area before that. You can see it if your look at his ear. He says its no big deal and wont go to doctore. scared. His wife and I are worried. About 3 weeks ago the outside of ear is puffing up now. Kind of like a cauliflower boxers ear. What can we do to researh this or scare him into going to a urgent care. they have no medical insurance.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
I have gone through your query.
It suggests that your friend may be suffering from the otitis externa.
Excessive moisture and trauma(self cleaning of the ear canal by ear bud, key etc), both of which impair the canal's natural defenses, are the two most common precipitants of otitis externa, and avoidance of these precipitants is the cornerstone of prevention.

But for exclusion of the other disease, cleaning of the external auditory canal, please consult the ENT specialist.

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.