Blood during urination. No pain or itchiness. Due to infection?

It has been months that my period only comes out when i urinate. It doesnt voluntarily comes out just like before. What could be the reason? Ive read in one website that a doctor said it could be an infection. Could it be true? I do not feel any pain or itchyness. Just a normal period its just that it doesnt naturally flow,i dont even wear pads now anymore. Please help
Asked On : Wed, 14 Nov 2012
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Your presentation is a tricky one. You have also not stated your age or sexual status. Whether you are sexually active or not.

First of all, from your description you get your period only when you urinate? And does this look like a normal period to you? With the normal amount of blood each time? Does this blood pass every time your pass urine? If so, this is a serious condition and you are losing a significant amount of blood.

Now we will have to figure out whether you are bleeding through your vagina or your ureter. It is important for you to visit your doctor and get examined at the earliest, as this could be a sign of some underlying problem and will have to be diagnosed.

Yes, it is possible that this is a sign of an infection, but the bleeding cannot be compared to a normal period.

Start with a physical examination by a doctor, a urine examination, and abdominal and pelvic ultrasound and may be even a transvaginal ultrasound. We will have to rule out all serious possibilities.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.