Bleeding while passing stools. Should I go to the doctor or wait?

Hi, this is a little embarrassing but I opened my bowels a couple days ago and it literally felt like glass coming out, after I noticed I was bleeding quite a bit. Yesterday I opened my bowels and again today and still blood keeps dripping into the toilet. I have looked down there to see if I can see anything and I can see that it is cut bad on the outside going in. Not too sure how badly cut it is inside. I m not sure what I can do to stop it bleeding every time I go to the toilet, should I go to my doctor or wait and let it heal? Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 12 Aug 2012
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
The symptoms you have described sound like anal fissure. I would suggest you visit your doctor. You need a rectal exam to confirm the presence of a fissure. In case it is a fissure stool softeners like polyethylene glycol can b used to reduce the pain and bleeding.
Dr Samir Patil