Black stools that stopped with medicine. Similar episodes earlier. Endoscopy and colonscopy inconclusive. Root cause and cure?

Hi, My father (aged ~60) has started passing black stool today so am seeking for some advice here. This is second time that he is passing black stool (tar black) earlier around 5 months back same thing happened. He was admitted to Peerless Hospital (Calcutta) after five days of delay (from first day of passing black stool). Doctors performed both endoscopy & colonoscopy but were unable to find the exact reason/site of hemorrhage. Blood loss was severe so 2 pockets of blood were transfused to stabilize his health. For the 5 days of admittance in hospital he was on constant IV support and anti-biotic dosage. Black stool (tar black) stopped after 3 days of medication and total tenure was 7 days It will be grateful if any specialized doctor can provide advice on this.
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013