Bit by horsefly. Raised bump with itching. Why did my leg swell with redness later?

I was bit 2 days ago by a horsefly. It initially reacted the way that is normal for me, large raised bump with pretty immeditate itching. I was bit 3 times in 3 areas in a few minutes- left knee , inside upper right knee and upper outer right thigh. The one on the inside of my right knee created a large red area and it also seemed to swell my leg in that area and is a little tender when pushed on. It still itches pretty bad (the other 2 bites haven t itched since shortly after getting bit. the actual bite has turned a purple color. Never had this reaction to a horsefly bite before. Do I need to be concerned or give it some more time? It s been approx. 56 hours since being bit.
Asked On : Fri, 17 Aug 2012
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

As of now, I feel you might want to give a trial with over the counter oral anti histamines like piriton and apply some hydrocortisone cream at the site of the bite where it itches. Horse fly bites do take a while to heal.

In the presence of other symptoms like fever, wheezing , gradually progressive swelling of the leg, pus formation, with pain increasing in intensity, I would say visit your doctor immediately. If this is the case you might require antibiotics.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan