Bang on the foot, injury to small toe, deep purple coloration from top of foot to toe, swelling. X-ray needed?

I am just wondering at what point I need to see a doctor. Yesterday a large cutting board fell off the counter and onto my foot . It was the corner of the board the hit me about a half inch in from the outside foot bone that juts out below the pinkie. There is a small red mark where the board hit, and one half of the top of my foot, up through my pinkie toe is a deep purple color. It does hurt, but I can walk. I can tell that it is a bit swollen. Is there something I should watch for that would indicate that I need to see a doctor to have it x-rayed? Is it possible to fracture/break something in this way?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013