Baby having yellowish white cyst on uvula. What could be the reason, treatment?

Hi There is a yellowish white cyst on Uvula of my 1 year old daughter. Could you please tell me why does this happen and what is the treatment for this? This is the 1st time the doctor noticed and this is not been noticed by him earlier. He suggests that she has to go through a surgery to get the cyst removed. Could you please suggest an alternative way.
Asked On : Sat, 4 Aug 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
hello. cyst on the uvula are pretty rare, and it may be a mucus retention cyst, the cause is not clear in many cases but may be due to small trauma by food. if the cyst is increasing in size or getting infected, then it is better to get it operated. regards