Baby having catarrh. Having dry, chesty cough. Piriton syrup effective?

Please what is the safety as well as efficacy of piriton syrup in treating a very dry chesty cough of a ten month old baby also having catarrh . Infact the whole famiLy are presently having that type of cough. A doctor wanted to nebulise the baby because baby s chest is conjested but I refused to because I feeL that should be a last resort in decongesting the chest and not the first option.also the baby has been nebulised before when suffering from a cough and cold and I just wanted the baby s chest decongested. I hear one or two more nebulisations can make the baby s lungs dependent on drugs to be decongested. I recently started using Silberbird eucalyptus oil .B.Pas aninhaler to reduce d coughs.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013
in adult chest congestion is not as common as children because of larger airways in adult while in children chest congestion is common .during congestion most of children need nebulization . and nebulization did not baby habitual for need of recurrent nebulization . nebulization lead to direct entry of drug into air way and is more effective , less side effect and less cost of medicine burden

dr vivek