Baby blue toned after delivery. On ventilator due to delay in lungs development. Prognosis?

My nephew was born via vaginal birth after an inversion was done. Baby was breech and at 38 weeks. Upon delivery he blue toned and when the nurse lifted his arm it went limp. We were told to leave and a code blue was called. He is now 3 days old in the NICU on a ventilator, a feeding tube will surgically be placed tomorrow. We were told that he has RDS and secondary is pneumonia which is not responding to antibiotics. At 38 weeks and 7lbs 2 oz they told us the baby s lungs had stopped developing at 28 weeks. How does one organ delay in development but not the others? What is the prognosis for the baby?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Feb 2013

Thank you for your query.

Respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) is a condition where the surfactant levels are low and the alveoli cannot remain open by themselves. This prevents aeration. This condition is usually seen in prematures but can occur across all gestational ages.

Your nephew was delivered out of a difficult delivery process and may had some obstetric trauma like intracranial injury which may also be responsible for turning blue. This is quite unlikely as the doctors must have investigated for it by now.

In the NICU he is being given ventilatory support and must have been given surfactant therapy for RDS. It shall take some time for things to settle down before the doctors can tell about the prognosis.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your nephew an early recovery.

RKK

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
In 38 weeks gestation completed newborn the occurrence of RDS is rare but it will develop due to some maternal risk factors like diabetes.
In respiratory distress syndrome, the surfactant therapy is available for lung immaturity and with ventilator support the prognosis will be good with adequate supportive treatment.
But if the respiratory distress is due to pulmonary hypoplasia or meconium aspiration, the prognosis will depend on the underlying primary problem and the extent of lung involvement.
There is a time table like phenomenon in the fetus and newborn in the development and maturity of various organs and their involvement by various disease processes.
Hope I have answered your query.