Avid swimmer, left leg amputee, have extreme numbness in hand from thumb to middle while in water. What can be done?

Good morning from Cape Town, I m a 57yr old female who loves open swimming. I breathe predominantly to the right but do breathe left every other stroke . I m a left leg amputee so somehow I roll to the right by default. My problem is extreme numbness in my right hand from the thumb to middle finger after about 15minutes in the water. Very diconcerting. When training I can stop and shake my hand to get the feeling back but in open water I just keep going and hope for the best!!! Ta. Maura
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012