Asthma attacks, high pulse, difficulty breathing, fall in oxygen levels. On inhalers, steroids. Taken oxygen artificially, chest X-ray normal. Causes?

my son has high risk asthma and is havin regular attacks in the night. He is on medication including inhalers steriods and montelukast tablets to try and control his asthma. At the moment his breathing rate is 28 and his pulse is 124 and his 02 levels can drop very rapidly when his breathing begins to increase but i seem to spend every night taking him to out of hours doctors for them to say there is nothing wrong with him as his chest is clear and seems to be well in himself. He is under specialist care but when it comes to a night time none of his medication seems to work. He has spent days in the hospital on oxygen and even been into resus. He is 5 years old and i am scared to sleep on a night incase i dont wake to his attacks. He has anti allergy covers pillows and mattress protectors all his soft toys get frozen for 48 hours a week and i damp dust twice a day. Im getting overly concerened about how much his health seems to be deteriorating and would realy appreciate any further advice you could give me.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Jun 2012