Are these tests necessary for 91 year old heart failure patient ?

Hi. my grandma is 91 and in assisted living . she was hospitalized in jan. for sudden weight loss , fatigue and nausea . she has heart failure and a pacemaker . at Christmas she was doing fine, now since the middle of jan. she has weeping edema with ulcers in feet, legs and hands. she has to sleep in a hospital bed now to keep propped up. she s on oxygen 24/7 and has practically no appetite and very often throws up the little food she eats. my question is why would her dr. order yet another ct scan and blood tests? it took her days to recover from that and what could it possibly tell us? shouldn t we just be trying to make her comfortable at this point? she s on diuretics, but they re not doing any good anymore. any idea how long she will have to suffer like this? thanks.
Asked On : Mon, 7 Mar 2011