Any treatment for improve hoarse voice?

hi i do have respect for every doctor all over the world who has dedicated himself or herself to helping the sick wherever they are. my problem is that my voice is hoarse for three weeks but sometimes improve .i am an English instructor. you know my tongue is my weapon to communicate with my students . so kindly do you have any remedies you can state or recommend to me , Dr?
Asked On : Mon, 3 Dec 2012
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
Hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I have understood your problem and let me also praise you for being a teacher which is one of the most blessed jobs in the world.

Unfortunately you being a teacher are at a risk of developing hoarse voice due to vocal nodules and that may have happened to you now. You need to get an endoscopy examination to confirm the same though.

You need to take good care of your voice and practice vocal hygeine.

Let me also assure you that vocal cord nodules are very common and are very much treatable by many means available.

I have personally performed over five hundred surgery on the vocal cords and the nodules are very amenable to teatment. But you should understand that the chief treatment should come from your side. Even if I remove the nodules, you need to maintain the vocal hygiene which I will enumerate.

If you have vocal nodules then it means that you are straining your voice in some way or the other and this has to be investigated and stopped.

First let me tell you what to do in steps
1. If vocal cord nodules are big and bilateral and chronic (more than 3 months), then you need to get them surgically removed by a simple procedure under anaesthesia. I can arrange for that so just let me know

2. In any case you need to maintain vocal hygiene, you may search for the same in the net and also consult a speech therapist. This includes things like not straining your voice, avoid cold items, avoid whisper and scream and taking steam inhalation to name a few. Many times if properly followed, the vocal hygiene can reduce or even cure the nodules!!
3. Take anti reflux measures like avoid oily, spicy and high flavoured food, take anti reflux medication like Pantoprazole and weight maintenance. The anti reflux tablets your treating doctor will know.
4. Nodules are not CANCER so you do not have to worry. However you need to send them for pathology examination after surgery so that you can be very sure.

All the above instructions are if your diagnosis is vocal cord nodules and also if it is just hoarse voice in which case you need only guidance from a speech therapist on the proper use of your voice.

hope you have some clearer picture of your problem.

I will always be happy to answer any more doubts

Dr Sriram Nathan