Anxiety, depression, anorexia, smoking marijuana. Want opinion

I m 19 years old, full-time college student. I have severe problems with anxiety , depression and somewhat anorexia . School is really complicated for me right now, I m trying my best, but I feel like I just can t accomplish things. I m currently visiting a psychiatrist( He s an stubborn ass) I try to tell him my problems, but he thinks I m just spoiled or something. I got prescribed Vivanse, which I really do find helpful. He also prescribed me clonazepam , which I also find really helpful because I have GAD anxiety. I have tons and tons of homework; approximately about ten essay’s a week. I started smoking marijuana due to my anxiety, add, and depression, and also to have the patience to finish my worthless basic essay s. I ve experimented not smoking marijuana for a week or two and taking my prescribed medications, and i felt even worse than Hitler. I was sad, anxious, tired, lacking focus in school or you can even say LIFE. When I smoke marijuana, I feel like I can be myself, and I can speak my heart without being scared or anxious, I m a lot nicer; I see the world in a different way (positive way). I feel real productive and ready to do stuff; to be honest I focus 100 times better when I m high, and have amazing thoughts. I do a lot better in my school work and social life. I just feel happy, productive and helpful. And from what I ve heard from WISE people, that s the best way to act/feel. I don t abuse marijuana, I just use it whenever I m going to do my homework or I feel negative. In a way I feel like marijuana has saved my life, in order to live a little better. I ve researched marijuana much, I know a lot about it, but I just DON T find marijuana bad or whatever the media says. I mean it s better to be in a positive happy mood than being stressed, anxious, and depressed; I don t know if I m right, but I think being stressed kills a lot more brains cells or damages than smoking marijuana and living a little. I m just 19, I want to enjoy my life; not be depressed etc...... Well that s what I think I just need an opinion from someone professional. By the way I m writing this because my mom knows I smoke, but she doesn t really know anything about it, she just hears what the media says, which of course it s negative. So I ll appreciate it if you share your opinion or give me advice for this situation. Thank you.
Asked On : Wed, 9 May 2012
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Cannabis is generally perceived as a harmless recreational drug but there has plenty of research over the last decade to show it increases one's risk of developing psychosis later in life, especially if one starts the habit in teens and continues heavy intake for years. Of course everyone doesn't get affected, but for the few who do, life is never the same again.

The risk of developing anxiety disorder is even higher than that of developing psychosis and that is an added disadvantage for you, since you say that you already suffer from anxiety.

Using cannabis to overcome negative feelings is like using a gun to kill a mosquito. I would rather prefer to add an SSRI like sertraline or escitalopram to your prescription, which would control both anxiety and negative feelings. Please discuss your problems in detail with your doctor, but if you are finding it difficult to communicate with him, ask your mother to intervene on your behalf. I am sure both your mother and your doctor are your well wishers and will advise what is best for you.

Best wishes.