Ankle stiffness during exercise and sleep. Takes time to get stability and free movement. Had discectomy. Normal? Should I consult a doctor?

Had a discectomy L5S1 but had nerve damage down anterior of calf ankle heal and anterior side of under the foot. Six months later nerve not restored in ankle or foot and partially on calf. Problem is that when the ankle gets exercised it starts to work but slowly gets tired, at rest (like driving auto) the ankle stiffens up and takes a few mins to ease up; after overnights sleep the ankle is stiff and takes 15 mins to get stability and free movement . Is this normal and will get better. Or is it something I should get a doctor to look at
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
The stiffness in the ankle joint is likely to be related to arthritic changes in the joint. Regular exercise, calcium supplements and joint lubricants should help to decrease the symptoms. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal ,