Ankle injury, turning ice cold, purple, extreme pain. X-ray shows swelling, bruising. Treatment?

I injured my ankle last weekend , my daughters wheelchair footplate knockednd into my ankle. The hospital xrayed it and have said that its not broken , ive seen the bruiseing and swelling on xray. My foot keeps going ice cold and purple , it is very painfull. I was told to go back to hospital nextweek if it feels no better.
Asked On : Fri, 20 Jul 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
I would recommend you to get the MRI of the ankle joint to confirm if there is any ligament injury is present. It can be a cartilage or ligament injury. I also want to suggest you to wear a anklet till you get your further diagnosis. Take Brufen tablet for pain and swelling. Also keep on applying ice over ankle .Do not walk over ankle or just bend it enough that pain allows .